Traverse City, Michigan, USA – September 11, 2022 -They call it the Tournament of Champions for a reason, and Santiago Lambre (BRA) has certainly earned the title of champion throughout the first two weeks of the fall series in Traverse City. Saturday afternoon, he topped his fifth major class in two weeks aboard a fifth horse, winning the $30,000 Traverse City National Grand Prix with Dingeman.
“Dingeman is a member of the family,” Lambre said. “I’ve had him since he was three years old, so 11 years together. We’ve done five-star grands prix together. He’s a very good horse. He’s very competitive, so I hope he keeps it up for a couple of more years.”
Lambre was the first of seven to navigate the Olaf Petersen, Jr., (GER)-designed track clear, meaning he came back first for the jump-off. That did not put him at a disadvantage, though, as he guided the 14-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding (Nintender x Darnels) to a time of 35.512 seconds. With the pressure on, only three other pairs were able to jump double-clear, and none as fast as Lambre.
Alexandra Pielet (USA) and Hyperbolics (Berlin x Tlaloc M), owned by Co-Pielet, LLC, were the only pair to come close, doing so in 36.239 seconds for a second-place finish.
Third place was claimed by Jonathon Millar (CAN) and Isotropic Shadow (Quintender 2 x Landclassic), owned by Isotropic Networks, Inc., as they clocked in at 38.190 seconds.
When asked whether the winning streak adds or removes pressure, Lambre remarked, “When you start to win, you ride more relaxed. It takes away the pressure when you win two or three classes in a row. When you don’t win at all it adds more pressure, so you try to do more than you have to do. That affects the way the horses jump and they’re not jumping as well.”
Although the horse is a recent winner in CSI 3* action, Dingeman’s place to shine this week was the National Grand Prix, as Lambre has a crop of younger horses that he’s aiming at the CSI3* level currently. With a steady long-term relationship, Lambre knew he could count on Dingeman to perform in Saturday’s class.
Final Results – $30,000 Traverse City National Grand Prix
1) Santiago Lambre (BRA) & Dingeman – 0 – 35.512
2) Alexandra Pielet (USA) & Hyperbolics – 0 – 36.239
3) Jonathon Milar (CAN) & Isotropic Shadow – 0 – 38.190
4) Hilary McNerney (USA) & Ennio de Lezellec – 0 – 40.970
5) Ty Simpson (USA) & Maestro Van Volkaert – 4 – 38.116
6) Roberto Teran (COL) & Dez Ooktoff – 4 – 41.051
7) Vanessa Hood (USA) & Lou Lou VLS -NOT INFOTMED
8) Roberto Teran (COL) & Van Halen – 4 – 80.915
9) Katia Manuel-Adams (USA) & ERP http://www.olland.biz – 4 – 81.073
10) Alex Granato (USA) & King Van het Keizershof – 4 – 82.703
11) Roberto Teran (COL) & BP Wakita – 4 – 82.912
12) Caitlyn Connors (USA) & Escada 298 – 4 – 84.240
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography