Traverse City, Michigan, USA – July 29, 2022 – Natalie Dean (USA) was first to go in Friday’s $37,000 Groulx Family Welcome Stake CSI 3* and held the lead from start to finish, claiming top honors aboard the Marigold Sporthorses LLC entry Cocolina during Week IV of the Great Lakes Equestrian Festival (GLEF), presented by CaptiveOne Advisors.
Fifteen pairs out of the starting 39 navigated Marina Azevedo’s (BRA) first-round track fault free and advanced to the jump-off. Dean was first to go on the short course and rode to a clear-round time of 39.39 seconds.
Nearly half of the jump-off contenders had rails down, but the only two to come close to her time were Karl Cook (USA), who placed second, and Mavis Spencer (USA), who took third.
Mavis Spencer (USA) piloted Georgy Maskrey-Segesman’s Carissimo 25 to just shy of the leading time in 39.41 seconds,
Then Cook, with Signe Otsby’s Fecybelle, slid right in between in 39.40 seconds, placing the top three within two one-hundredths of a second of one another.
“Going first, I really wanted to lay down a nice clear round and be competitive,” Dean said of her ability to hold the lead through the large jump-off field. “With 15 in the jump-off you never know what’s going to happen but it was exciting and we managed to sneak in there. It was close but it went our way today.”
When asked how she manages her nerves being first of a large field, she replied, “I think it’s actually easier for me to go first. Sometimes when I watch other people I change my plan a little too much. I know my horse so well that I did what I knew she could do.”
Dean is a top competitor up to the CSI5* level and her relationship with Cocolina, the 11-year-old Oldenburg mare (Conthargos x Papillon Rouge), has blossomed in the past two years they’ve been paired together. “I think she’s naturally a very fast horse,” the 23-year-old from Palo Alto, CA, continued. “She’s very careful and brave. I’ve jumped some of the biggest tracks in my life on her so I really trust her and believe in her. I’m really thankful for Cocolina and my trainer, Ilan Ferder.
“It’s been amazing,” Dean continued regarding her time in Traverse City. “We always love coming to this show. It’s great weather, the rings are great, the footing is amazing, and I think the horses really like it here. It’s fun to go out on the lake on Mondays. We stay here for a month so it’s sort of a summer base. We love coming up here in the summers.”
Show jumping continues at the national level Saturday with the $30,000 Traverse City National Grand Prix, followed by the Dudley B. Smith Equitation Championship. International competition resumes Sunday with the $138,600 Grand Prix CSI 3*.
Final Results – $37,000 Groulx Family Welcome Stake CSI 3*
1) Natalie Dean (USA) & Cocolina: 2011 OS mare by Conthargos x Papillon Rouge, Marigold Sporthorses LLC – 0 / 0 – 39.39
2) Karl Cook (USA) & Fecybelle: 2010 KWPN mare by Carambole x Sjapoo, Signe Otsby – 0 / 0 – 39.40
3) Mavis Spencer (USA) & Carissimo 25: 2013 HOLST gelding by Cascadello x Clinton, Georgy Maskrey-Segesman – 0 / 0 – 39.41
4) Georgina Bloomberg (USA) & Sempa Fidelis: 2009 HANN mare by Stakkato Gold x Concetto Famos, Gotham Enterprizes, LLC: 0 / 0 – 40.18
5) Schuyler Riley (USA) & Quilimbp: 2009 HOLST stallion by Quidam De Revel x Limbus, E2 Show Jumpers – 0 / 0 – 42.28
6) Margie Engle (USA) & Aston des Etisses: 2010 SF gelding by Mylord Carthago x Quidam De Revel: Gladewinds Partners, LLC – 0 / 0 – 42.41
7) Kent Farrington (USA) & Landon: 2013 ZANG gelding by Comilfo Plus Z x Quadrillo, Haity McNerney – 0 / 0 – 43.78
8) Sarah Scheiring (USA) & Anibale de Hus: 2010 SF stallion by Conrad x Argentinus, Bellwyn Farm LLC – 0 / 0 – 47.18
9) Michael Morrissey (USA) & Tachini Z: 2009 ZANG gelding by Toulon x Burggraaf NV, MD Stables – 0 / 4 – 41.38
10) Hilary McNerney (USA) & Zita Blue: 2011 ZWEIB mare by Zirocco Blue x Balou Du Rouet, Hilary McNerney – 0 / 4 – 42.25
11) Nicolette Hirt (USA) & Chatou 7: 2009 OS gelding by Chacco Blue x Toulon, Iron Horse Equestrian – 0 / 4 – 44.58
12) Emma Catherine Reichow (USA) & Forever Alve: 2010 KWPN mare by Numero Uno x Berlin, Emma Catherine Reichow – 0 / 4 – 45.32
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography