Zaventem, Belgium – June 24, 2021- The Royal Belgian Equestrian Sports Federation released a statement on Thursday announcing the showjumping team for the upcoming Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.The official selections for jumping and eventing were presented during a press conference of the BOIC in Hasselt.
The Blegian squad consists of the following riders & horses:
- Niels Bruynseels (BEL) & Delux van T&L (SBS – Toulon x Landetto – Suzanne and René Kurmann)
- Jérôme Guéry (BEL)& Quel Homme de Hus (HOLST – Quidam de Revel x Candillo – Jérôme Guéry -Eden Farm – Alexander Oancea)
- Gregory Wathelet (BEL) & Nevados S (PZHK – Calvados Z x Romualdo – Nevados Group)
- Yves Vanderhasselt (BEL) & Jeunesse (BWP – Eldorado van de Zeshoek x Quasimodo vd Molendreef – Sportstal Vanderhasselt)
- Pieter Devos (BEL) & Claire Z (ZANG – Clearway Z x Cornado – Devos Stables & Stal de Leygraaf)
- Olivier Philippaerts (BEL) & H&M Extra (KWPN – Berlin x Heartbreaker – Leon Spronken BVBA)
Team Manager Peter Weinberg is of course very satisfied with this strong selection. “ Over the past few months, I’ve had the opportunity to see the combinations at work in several beautiful 3, 4 and 5* competitions. I observed everyone closely, especially during the Nations Cup. After all, especially during these competitions, I was able to make the selection myself and see everyone participate.
During the Games, I will of course let the 3 selected ones start, but I keep in mind that if necessary, I can make a substitution with complete confidence in the number four pair, Yves Vanderhasselt, who has proven to be in top form this season, including 4 clear rounds at the CSIO competitions of Rome and La Baule. I don’t think there are any stronger combinations at the moment than the ones I’ve selected!”
Source: Press Release from Federation Royale Belge des Sports Equestres
Photo: © FEI – Fédération Equestre Internationale / Lukasz Kowalski