Ocala, Florida, USA – July 13, 2023 – National show jumping competition resumed early this morning during Week VI of the 2023 Ocala Summer Series with the $24,000 C. Jarvis Insurance Welcome Prix. FEI Level II course designer Tucker Williams (USA) crafted the elaborate tracks for 31 top notch competitors, but none could best perennial favorites Tracy Fenney (USA) and MTM Apple (Favorit Ask x Kong’s Whopsie).
The eight horse jump-off saw tremendous efforts and some unfortunate rails. Ocala locals Aaron Vale (USA), Dorothy Douglas (USA) and Tracy Fenney (USA) prevailed with double clear rounds, battling one another for the lion’s share of the prize money.
Fenney and the 12-year-old Danish Warmblood mare were the third to last pair to attempt the short course, “Aaron Vale was fast, but I go the speed I go and hopefully I beat him. That’s what I hoped for,” laughed Fenney.
“I didn’t love the way I met the first jump, but I rolled away and had to steady down the seven in the first line. She rolled back great to the yellow oxer. She has such a good motor and is always going forward. I think I left one out to the double, which you usually need to be very careful to. We almost whipped too tight around to the green, and I thought the seven was going to be super long, but her stride is so huge, I actually had to slow her down,” shared Fenney about her track in the jump-off. Fenney and MTM Apple blazed through the timers in 39.368 seconds to snag the lead.
Fenney spoke about her longtime partner MTM Apple who was feeling a little fresh this morning, “In the warmup area she was dinking around. She feels amazing because she had two weeks off. In the first round, she started bucking all the way to the second jump. She was having a blast.”
Fenney’s business partner Dorothy Douglas (USA) was right on her heels aboard MTM Pablo (Perigueux x Celina) owned by Davenport Farms. Douglas and the 10-year-old Hanoverian gelding were swift and clean stopping the clock one second behind in 40.526 seconds to secure the second-place spot on the leaderboard.
Aaron Vale (USA) and Thinkslikeahorse’s 14-year-old KWPN gelding Elusive (Rodrigo VDL x Alouette) rounded out the top three in this morning’s $24,000 C. Jarvis Insurance Welcome Prix with a time of 40.545 seconds, just a hair short of Douglas.
Final Results – $24,000 C. Jarvis Insurance Welcome Prix
Place / Rider / Country / Horse / Owner / Round 1 Score / Jump-off Score / Jump-off time
1) Tracy Fenney (USA) & MTM Apple, MTM Farm – 0 | 0 – 39.368
2) Dorothy Douglas (USA) & MTM Pablo, Davenport Farms – 0 | 0 – 40.526
3) Aaron Vale (USA) & Elusive, Thinkslikeahorse – 0 | 0 – 40.545
4) Clark Montgomery (USA) & Aska Blue, Serenity Spring Farm – 0 | 4 – 42.693
5) Daniel Geitner (USA) & Jalanne, November Hill – 0 | 4 – 42.958
6) Annie Bolling (USA) & Mykonos SCF, Annie Bolling – 0 | 4 – 49.694
7) Tracy Fenney (USA) & MTM McIntosh, Nina Koloseike – 0 | 5 – 53.824
8) Vicente Guillen (VEN) & Rustica Ls La Silla, Tranquility Farm – 0 | 8 – 39.362
9) Luis Sabino Goncalves (POR) & Scoop De Septon Z, Sigma Stables – 0 | 2 – 75.235
10) Luis Sabino Goncalves (POR) & Vick Du Croisy, Sigma Stables LLC – 0 | 4 – 68.956
Source: Press Release from World Equestrian Center
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography