Ocala, Florida, USA – July 01, 2023 – Spectators and exhibitors alike were on the edge of their seats as a field of 32 of the world’s best show jumping talents from across the globe contested the $150,000 Florida Coast Equipment Grand Prix CSI 3*. At the conclusion, it was Hunter Holloway (USA) and her longtime partner Eastern Jam that stood atop the podium.
Athletes from eleven nations were challenged by the intricate track set by FEI Level IV course designer Alan Wade (IRL). Eight managed to find the path to a clear effort, but only three elite athletes managed a fault-free round.
Hunter Holloway (USA) was the third athlete to return to the jump-off and she was determined to pilot Hays Investment Corp.’s Eastern Jam to a clear round, “Eastern Jam isn’t the fastest, but he makes up for it in the turns and his big step. I rode my plan and used his strengths to my advantage.”
The crowd was silent as Holloway and the 14-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding (Lexicon x Monaco) navigated the short track, tackling lines and executing the tightest turns to stop the clock at a blistering 40.38 seconds, a time no other competitor was able to catch.
Holloway spoke about her tried-and-true mount, “Eastern Jam is the best. He’s a long time partner of mine, I’ve had him for seven, almost eight years now, so we know each other really well. He’s my steady eddy for sure and an ole’ reliable at this point,” laughed Holloway. “He’s a very seasoned horse, but he definitely grows in an atmosphere like this. He loves everyone cheering for him, he thinks it’s all about him. I think he come out and jumps even better because of it.”
Peter Petschenig (AUT) was just behind Holloway with Petschenig Showjumping, LLC’s Ennebel Van Het Posthuijs (Numero Uno x Argentinus). Petschenig and the skilled 14-year-old Dutch Warmblood mare raced around the short course, finding each fence on an open gallop in 41.58 seconds to secure the second place spot atop the podium.
Petschenig spoke about the consistent Ennebel Van Het Posthuijs, “Ennebel is different, if I don’t do anything completely wrong, she will always jump clear. I don’t think there has been a lot of grands prix in general where she hasn’t placed. She was clear last week, clear on Thursday night and double clear again today. She’s won here before during the winter circuit. She’s a true competitor and an incredible horse.”
Week II Grand Prix CSI3* winner, Sean Jobin (CAN) rode Foxridge Farm Stables Coquelicot VH Heuvelland Z (Catoki x Cassini II) to yet another podium finish. Jobin and the scopey 11-year-old Zangersheide gelding were quick and clear in 43.31 seconds to round out podium.
“It’s always awesome here. I don’t know how you guys do it, but the atmosphere here is always electric. It’s great to show under the lights at such an incredible facility like this with a great group of spectators. Horses always grow in this atmosphere and come out of the ring with great experiences,” shared Jobin about World Equestrian Center – Ocala.
Todd Bachman, President and CEO of Florida Coast Equipment spoke about sponsoring tonight’s class, “We are so proud to be a part of this night. One of our core values is that we believe in giving back to the community that gives so much to us. I’ve never been to a farm without a tractor and never seen a jump-off or one of these events take place without a tractor. It’s nice to know we can support those that give us a platform we need. We are so happy to be here tonight and be a part of these champions’ experience that had an amazing jump-off. That’s what we love being a part of.”
Final Results – $150,000 Florida Coast Equipment Grand Prix CSI 3*
1) Hunter Holloway (USA) & Eastern Jam: 2009 KWPN gelding by Lexicon x Monaco, Hunter Holloway (USA), Hays investment Corp. – 0 / 0 – 40.38
2) Peter Petschenig (AUT) & Ennebel van het Posthuijs: 2009 KWPN mare by Numero Uno x Argentinus, Petschenig Showjumping, LLC – 0 / 0 – 41.58
3) Sean Jobin (CAN) & Coquelicot VH Heuvelland Z: 2012 Zangersheide gelding by Catoki x Cassini II, Foxridge Farms Stables – 0 / 0 – 43.31
4) Aaron Vale (USA) & Obi Wan: 2012 Oldenburg gelding by Centadel x Continue, Thinkslikeahorse – 0 / 4 – 39.84
5) Luiz Francisco de Azevedo (BRA) & Nashville: 2013 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Diamant De Semilly x Darco, Santa Cecelia Stables LLC – 0 / 4 – 40.41
6) Sean Jobin (CAN) & Darius: 2008 KWPN gelding by Warrant x LBH Calvados, Foxridge Farms Stables LLC – 0 / 4 – 44.69
7)Kelli Cruciotti Vanderveen (USA) & Gideon: 2014 Zangersheide gelding by Super Trooper De Ness x Corland, Serenity Farm – 0 / 8 – 46.09
8) Alberto Michan (ISR) & Champion League: 2013 Hanoverian stallion by Cador 5 x Contendro I, Daniel Michan – 0/ 13 – 56.33
9)Jessica Leto (USA) & CIMBURA: 2011 Warmblood gelding by Calido I x Eyken Des Fontenis, Jessica Leto – 3 – 80.08
10) Erynn Ballard (CAN) & Calypso de Blondel: 2012 Selle Francias gelding by Lauterbach x Kassidi, Ilan Ferder – 4 –70.89
11) Lauren Balcomb (AUS) & Verdini d`Houtveld Z: 2011 Zangersheide gelding by Verdi TN x Caretino 2, Lauren Balcomb – 4 – 72.33
12) Ashlee Bond (ISR) & Elka de La Pomme: 2014 Selle Français mare by Cartoon Z x Kannan, LLC – 4 – 73.24
Source: Press Release from World Equestrian Center
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography