Traverse City, Michigan, USA – September 09, 2022 – Santiago Lambre (BRA) is getting comfortable in the winner’s circle during the Tournament of Champions. Continuing his championship streak, Lambre scored victory for the fourth time in two weeks, this time aboard Casey in Friday’s $37,000 GGT-Footing Welcome Stake CSI 3*.
Over Olaf Petersen, Jr.’s (GER) first-round course, 14 pairs out of the starting 38 jumped clear rounds, making for a highly competitive jump-off.
As the second-to-last to jump over the short course, Lambre proved his speed gears were unmatched, racing the 10-year-old Hanoverian mare (Cartani x Grannus) around the short course, omitting strides everywhere possible and taking the speed a second and a half faster in 34.00 seconds. Teran was pushed to second while Parot ended up third.
“Casey came in March for me,” Lambre said about his past with the horse. “This was the first FEI [competition] I rode her in. She jumped so well in the National Grand Prix [last week] – clear with one time fault. I had a good feeling. Sunday is going to be her first [FEI] Grand Prix.”
Roberto Teran (COL) with Trefoil Farm LLC’s Babycomeback took the pace up a notch with a blazing fast double-clear round in 35.48 seconds.
Shortly after, Samuel Parot (CHI) took over the second-place position with Chrystal Blue in 36.47 seconds, leaving very little room left to sneak a spot atop the podium.
Lambre believes strongly in the mare and sees her as one that could jump bigger tracks with him aboard. “She’s a very scopey horse, has nice technique, and is brave,” he said. “I’ve only ridden her in four or five shows but my theory is she can jump the big classes.”
Lambre is on a roll in Traverse City and has no intention of slowing down. “I have seven horses [at this level],” he said of his string. “This week I changed completely to three new horses. I gave my other group a week off [to prepare] for the American Gold Cup. That makes a difference. You can have the horses fresh. Casey is one horse that is maybe an option for next week too.”
When asked why his horses perform so well at the Flintfields Horse Park, now scoring four major wins on four different horses, he replied, “The ground is very good. The footing is for sure one of the best in the US. The horses jump with power and at the same time it’s soft. The horses are very sound after they jump three days. I’m very happy to be here.”
Show jumpers will jump the 1.25m Kevin Babington Benefit Classic Saturday morning followed by the $30,000 National Grand Prix Saturday afternoon.
Final Results – $37,000 GGT Footing Welcome Stake CSI3*
1. Santiago Lambre (BRA) & Casey: 2012 HANN mare by Cartani x Grannus, Mario Onate – 0 / 0 – 34.00
2. Roberto Teran Tafur (COL) & Babycomeback: 2011 SF mare by Corofino II x Joyau D’or A, Trefoil Farm LLC: 0/0/35.48
3. Samuel Parot (CHI) & Chrystal Blue: 2011 OLDBG gelding by Chacco Blue x Calvaro Z, Ilan Ferder – 0 / 0 – 36.47
4. Shane Sweetnam (IRL) & Namaste van het Eyckeveld: 2013 BWP gelding by Elvis Ter Putte x Coriall, Sweet Oak Farm – 0 / 0 – 37.22
5. Lisa Goldman-Smolen (USA) & Ivaro N: 2013 KWPN gelding by Elvaro x Celano, Barbara Disko – 0 / 0 – 38.14
6. Eliza Lehrman (USA) & Sierra: 2010 DWB mare by Stolzenburg x Lambrusco ASK, Five Way Farm LLC – 0 / 0 – 38.68
7. Chris Ewanouski (USA) & Condor du Valdecie: 2012 SF gelding by Quite Easy x Quito de Baussy, Polo Jump LLC: 0 / 4 – 36.73
8. Freddie Vazquez (PUR) & Kirschwasser SCF: 2010 BWP gelding by Amaretto D’Arco x Nabab De Reve, Freddie Vazquez – 0 / 4 – 37.42
9. Kelly Arani (USA) & Impossible Dream: 2013 KWPN gelding by Cardento x Peter Pan, Marigot Bay Farm, LLC – 0 / 4 – 39.10
10. Victoria Ketchum (USA) & Isaac 22: 2008 BWP gelding by Nonstop x Darco, Copperline Farm LLC – 0 / 8 – 38.18
11. Callie Schott (USA) & Fair Field: 2010 KWPN gelding by VDL Zirocco Blue x Chin Chin, Southern Arches LLC – 0 / 8 – 38.18
12. Filip de Wandel (BEL) & Manhattan van’T Leewerikenhof: 2012 BWP gelding by Emerald x Kashmir Van Schuttershof, Five Way Farm LLC – 0 / 8 – 41.41
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography