Traverse City, Michigan, USA – August 12, 2022 – Eighteen-year-old Grace Debney (GBR) out paced a who’s who of international talent to win the $37,000 Downtown Traverse City Welcome Stake CSI 3* during the final week of the Great Lakes Equestrian Festival (GLEF), presented by CaptiveOne Advisors. Piloting Boheme de la Roque, an 11-year-old Selle Français mare (Kannan x Quick Star) owned by Temple Equestrian LLC., Debney came out on top in the Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel International Ring.
Over Anderson Lima’s (BRA) course, 42 faced the first-round track with 12 returning for the jump-off. USA’s Karl Cook held the lead before Debney returned near the end of the short-course and took over the top spot by fractions of a second with a final time of 36.49 seconds. Cook settled for second, riding Signe Ostby’s Caillou 24 in 36.57 seconds.
“It’s definitely intimidating but I know I have some really good horses so that gives me all the confidence in the world to just go out there and give it my all,” said Debney in reaction to the start list for Thursday’s class. “It puts a lot of pressure on but it’s more fun that way.”
Debney has only had the ride on Boheme de La Roque for just over a year, but their connection was a quick one. “Right from the minute I got her it was like a click; I just got along with her right away and stepped right up. It was the best feeling. We give each other a lot of confidence and that’s what makes a difference in our rounds.”
After testing the jump-off track on her first horse, Zarina de Vidau, Debney knew she had to lay it down with Boheme de la Roque. “Everyone just kept going faster and faster, so I was kind of like okay I need to really go for it,” she said. “I think consistency was my plan. I was pretty proud that after every jump I was consistently on the rhythm.”
Commenting on her first week in Traverse City, Debney noted, “The atmosphere here is great and everything about it makes the horses jump well and the riders ride well.”
Third-place was awarded to Nicolas Gamboa (COL) aboard Interactive Mortgage Cayjano, owned by Delong Equestrian Ventures LLC, with a time of 37.35 seconds.
International competition returns with the $138,600 CaptiveOne Advisors Grand Prix CIS 3*on Saturday.
Final Results – $37,000 Downtown Traverse City Welcome Stake CSI 3*
1) Grace Debney (GBR) & Boheme de La Roque: 2011 SF mare by Kannan x Quick Star, Temple Equestrian LLC – 0 / 0 – 36.49
2) Karl Cook (SA) & Caillou 24: 2007 HOLST gelding by Casall x San Patrignano Corrado, Signe Otsby – 0 / 0 – 36.57
3) Nicolas Gamboa (COL) & Interactive Mortgage Cayjano: 2013 WESTF gelding by Cayetano L x Danekonig Delong Equestrian Ventures LLC – 0 / 0 – 37.35
4) Hunter Holloway (USA) & Eastern Jam: 2009 KWPN gelding by Lexicon x Monaco, Hays Investment Corp – 0 / 0 – 37.99
5) Filip de Wandel (BEL) & Manhattan van’T Leeuwekenfhof: 2012 BWP gelding by Emerald x Kashmir Van Schuttershof, Five Way Farm LLC – 0 / 0 – 38.15
6) Grace Debney (GBR) & Zarina de Vidau: 2011 CDE mare by Diamant de Semilly, Temple Equestrian LLC – 0 / 0 – 38.30
7) Margie Engle (USA) & JackofHearts: 2012 DWB gelding by Toulon x Baloubet du Rouet, Gladewinds Partners, LLC – 0 / 0 – 39.16
8) Kent Farrington (USA) & Orafina: 2012 KWPN mare by For Fashion x Canturo, Kent Farrington LLC: 0/0/41.20
9) Alexandra Smith (USA) & Fabregas: 2010 KWPN gelding by Zambesi TN x Nairone, Ashland Farms – 0 / 4 – 39.98
10) Kerry McCahill (USA) & Charly Chaplin S: 2007 KWPN gelding by Harley x Burgraaf, Kerry Anne LLC – 0 / 4 – 41.78
11) Andrew Welles (USA) & Idol H&H: 2013 KWPN gelding by Action-Breaker x Glennridge, Evergreen Stables, LLC – 0 / 8 – 39.96
12) Erin Davis-Heineking (USA) & NKH Cento Blue: 2010 OLDBG gelding by Centadel x Chacco Blue, October Hill Sales Limited – 0 / 8 – 45.54
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: ©Andrew Ryback Photography