Traverse City, Michigan, USA – June 26, 2022 – Beat Mändli (SUI) capped off an extraordinary two weeks in Traverse City with a win in Sunday’s $138,600 Serra Traverse City Grand Prix CSI 3*. His winning mount, Chartraine Pre Noir, owned by Grant Road Partners LLC, posted one of only two double-clear efforts to take home the top prize. After a win in Thursday’s $37,000 Launch Consulting Welcome Stake CSI 3*, Mändli took home decadent prize money during the final week of Traverse City Spring, presented by Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel.
With the 10-year-old Selle Français mare by Kannan, Mändli scored a clear round in his second attempt, after bringing down the final rail on course with his first mount and second place winner in the Grand Prix CSI 3* during week two, Dsarie. Iván Tagle (ARG) set a challenging track with questions throughout, but perhaps the toughest element was fence 13, set at 1.60m, which fell for many competitors in the first round. The tall vertical proved to be even more difficult in the jump-off as it served as the final fence on the short course as well.
“It was a little unexpected to be honest today,” Mändli said of his victory with the mare he’s been riding since November. “I tried to do a bigger class for the first time today and she was just perfect. I’ll try to move her up another step, to the CSI4* or CSI5* level but slowly. She did it very well here. She did everything she had to, she answered every question, and I’m very happy with her.”
The first two pairs on course in the jump-off, Lisa Carlsen (CAN) and Margie Engle (USA) went for the win, but both fell victim to the final fence, leaving the door open for a clear jump-off effort to take the lead.
Eliza Lehrman (USA) got the job done, coming home clear in 49.52 seconds with Eluna CL Z, owned by Five Way Farm LLC.
Beat Mändli (SUI) and Margie Engle (USA), as the last two to go and the joint leaders of the CaptiveOne Advisors Leading Open Jumper Rider Bonus–tied on 30 points–went head to head to top the leading time with the final fence intact. Mändli was able to do so even with a rub on the final fence, producing a clear round in 46.10 seconds, shaving nearly three seconds off the leading time.
Margie Engle (USA), already on the leaderboard with Dicas in fourth place, was out pace to edge out Mändli with Royce, but was called out yet again by the final fence, finishing on four faults to award Mändli the win, with Lehrman taking second and Carlsen in third.
“I could see everyone had trouble with the last fence, so I tried to be a little faster than Eliza to beat her,” Mändli remarked of his jump-off strategy. “It worked out perfectly. I was a little lucky on the last fence but I came home clear and Margie had the last fence which was obviously good for me.”
“She has an unbelievably nice mind and character,” Mändli continued about Chartraine Pre Noir. “She really wants to please you, you just need to keep her happy and play her way a little bit. She just wants to clear the fences. I think she placed in every class she jumped. She’s a lovely horse and just wants to be good.”
Mändli and student, Katie Dinan (USA), will now head to Europe to compete at the CSI5* level with hopes to both earn spots on their respective Nations Cup teams at the Dublin Horse Show CSIO 5*. Traverse City Spring, presented by Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel, served as stellar preparation with unbelievable results for all six horses owned by Grant Road Partners LLC.
“[Aside from Brego R’N B] we have our six best horses here,” Mändli said of the team’s string. “We chose them to come here before Europe to be competitive and to get into shape. It was two perfect weeks. Everyone’s super happy: grooms, horses, owner, and riders.”
The victory also handed Mändli the lead in the CaptiveOne Advisors Leading Open Jumper Rider Bonus standing as the Traverse City Spring Series, presented by Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel, came to a close.
Final Results: $138,600 Serra Traverse City Grand Prix CSI 3*
1. Beat Mandli (SUI) & Chartraine Pre Noir: 2012 SF mare by Kannan, Grant Road Partners LLC: 0/0/46.01
2. Eliza Lehrman (USA) & Eluna CL Z: 2012 ZANG mare by Emerald x Nabab De Reve, Five Way Farm LLC: 0/0/49.52
3. Lisa Carlsen (CAN) & Livestream 2: 2010 OLDBG gelding by Lordanos x Landadel, Lisa Carlsen: 0/4/42.43
4. Margie Engle (USA) & Dicas: 2009 RHEIN gelding by Diarado x Cassini I, Gladewinds Partners, LLC: 0/4/43.90
5. Roberto Teran Tafur (COL) & Dez OoktoffDEZ: 2008 KWPN stallion by Colandro x Lys Rouge, Roberto Teran Tafur: 0/4/45.43
6. Margie Engle (USA) & Royce: 2004 OS stallion by Cafe Au Lait x Grandilot, Gladewinds Partners, LLC: 0/4/45.82
7. Jonathan McCrea (USA) & Fantasy BB: 2010 KWPN mare by Cardento x Labor’s VDL Indorado, Windsor Show Stables: 4/73.36
8. Alex Lawler (USA) & For Gold : 2011 HOLST gelding by For Fashion x Heraldik, Lawler Show Jumping LLC: 4/73.45
9. Filip de Wandel (BEL) & Manhattan van’t Leeuwerikenhof: 2012 BWP gelding by Emerald x Kashmir Van Schuttershof, Five Way Farm LLC: 4/73.89
10. Katie Dinan (USA) & Atika des Hauts Vents: 2010 SF mare by Rock’n Roll Semilly, Grant Road Partners LLC: 4/74.30
11. Beat Mandli (SUI) & Dsarie: 2008 KWPN mare by Veron x Ahorn, Grant Road Partners LLC: 4/74.53
12. Katie Dinan (USA) & Dijon Terdoorn Z: 2011 ZANG gelding by Diamant De Semilly x Lord Z, Grant Road Partners LLC: 4/75.24
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography