Traverse City, Michigan, USA – June 24, 2022 – Beat Mändli (SUI) is done being a bridesmaid in Traverse City. Already three times a second-place finisher since arriving during week two of the Traverse City Spring series, presented by Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel, he secured the win to kick off week three in Friday’s $37,000 Launch Consulting Welcome Stake CSI 3* with Vic des Cerisiers.
Twice second and now a winner, Vic des Cerisiers has been a long and steady partnership for Mändli. “We bought Vic as a 7-year-old,” he said of the now 13-year-old Selle Francais gelding (Olympic D’Anguerny x Desir Du Chateau) owned by Grant Road Partners LLC. “First Katie [Dinan] rode him a little bit then we switched around. He had a bit of a break over the winter and he’s just coming back to the scene. He’s doing quite well here; it’s really impressive and I’m very happy with him.”
The win wasn’t handed to the two-time Swiss Olympian, however, as he topped a six-horse jump-off to claim top honors in a time of 33.27 seconds. “I was early to go and I had a few fast ones behind me,” Mändli remarked on his strategy. “I didn’t want to go too crazy, but he feels good at the moment so I decided to have a go, and it worked out well. I had a slow start with six strides but then the rollback to that one vertical was fast and then to the oxer I made up time.”
First to jump off and second in the final placings was Roberto Teran Tafur (COL) and Dez Ooktoff, navigating to a double-clear effort just off Mändli’s time in 33.68 seconds.
Third place went to Margie Engle (USA) and Royce, owned by the Gladewinds Partners, LLC, with the final double-clear effort in 34.60 seconds.
Mändli has taken several top placings in CSI3* competition in the latter two weeks of the Traverse City Spring series, including three of the top eight spots in the $37,000 CSI3* Two Phase Thursday and a second place in the $138,600 Staller CSI3* Grand Prix on Sunday of week two. The trip to Traverse City has paid off for both Mändli and Dinan, who have secured wins and top placings on each of their three mounts, with the $138,600 Serra CSI3* Grand Prix still to come Sunday afternoon.
“First of all, we love it here,” Mändli commented. “The facilities are amazing. The footing is amazing. The atmosphere is lovely, and we’re just happy to be here and we always come back here.”
After this series, the Grant Road Partners LLC horses will head to Europe to compete up to the CSI5* level with the goal for both Mändli and Dinan to jump the Nations Cup in Dublin. Ultimately, his goal is to “have some fun and win some ribbons,” which is precisely what he has done in Traverse City so far.
Final Results: $37,000 Launch Consulting Welcome Stake CSI 3*
1) Beat Mandli (SUI) & Vic des Cerisiers: 2009 SF gelding by Olympic D’Anguerny x Desir Du Chateau, Grant Road Partners LLC: 0/0/33.27
2) Roberto Teran Tafur (COL) & Dez Ooktoff: 2008 KWPN stallion by Colandro x Lys Rouge, Roberto Teran Tafur: 0/0/33.68
3) Margie Engle (USA) & Royce: 2004 OS stallion by Cafe Au Lait x Grandilot, Gladewinds Partners, LLC: 0/0/34.60
4) Lisa Carlsen (CAN) & Livestream 2: 2010 OLDBG gelding by Lordanos x Landadel, Lisa Carlsen: 0/4/33.32
5) Katie Dinan (USA) & Atika des Hauts Vents: 2010 SF mare by Rock’n Roll Semilly, Grant Road Partners LLC: 0/4/33.39
6) Michael Morrissey (USA) & Tachini Z: 2009 ZANG gelding by Toulon x Burggraaf NV, MD Stables: 0/4/34.27
7) Caitlyn Connors (USA) & Escada 289: 2012 HOLST mare by Clearway x Coriano, Windridge Farm LLC: 0/WD
8) Katie Dinan (USA) & Athos d’Elle: 2010 SF stallion by Apache D’Adriers x Papillon Rouge, Grant Road Partners LLC: 1/70.49
9) Samuel Parot (CHI) & Buga Z: 2010 ZANG gelding by Chester Z x Quality Touch Z, Samuel Parot: 1/70.54
10) Jonathan McCrea (USA) & Gazelle ES: 2011 KWPN mare by Diarado x Ukato, Windsor Show Stables: 1/70.85
11) Dana Escales (USA) & Ayamonte BG Z: 2009 ZANG gelding by Air Jordan x Capital, Buttonwood Show Jumpers LLC: 4/68.80
12) Matt Archer (USA) & Luigi vd Bisschop: 2011 BWP gelding by Bamako De Muze x Nabab De Reve, Rhys Farms, LLC: 4/69.16
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography