Windsor, Berkshire, England – June 30, 2021 – The 78th edition of CHI Royal Windsor Horse Show, taking place in the private grounds of Windsor Castle from 1-4 July, is set to be a remarkable spectacle, with top-class international equestrian sport alongside a range of display acts and a luxury shopping village.
The Show is a hallmark on the global equestrian calendar, with entertainment for the whole family, so here are the top 10 things to know about this year’s Royal Windsor Horse Show.
1. Her Majesty The Queen is Patron of the Show and has attended every year since it started in 1943, when it was established to raise money for the war effort. This is the only time of the year that the private grounds of Windsor Castle are open to the public.
2. Over 1,700 horses and ponies are entered into 133 different classes at Royal Windsor Horse Show in 2021, including Show Jumping, Driving, Showing and Endurance.
3. Five out of the World’s Top 10-ranked Show Jumpers will be competing in the International Jumping, including Britain’s 2012 Olympic champions Scott Brash (GBR) and Ben Maher (GBR), as well as Jessica Springsteen (USA), daughter of the legendary Bruce.
4. Her Majesty The Queen has 22 horses competing in the Showing across the four days of competition.
5. In an exclusive Show preview, Britain’s Olympic Dressage and Eventing squads performed their Olympic Dressage tests in the main arena on Wednesday 30 June, as they make their final preparations before they travel to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympic Games.
6. One of the most spectacular events at the Show is the Coaching Marathon, where 14 traditional coaches and horses make their way down The Long Walk, with the iconic Windsor Castle in the background.
7. The International Carriage Driving competition at Windsor was started by His late Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, who also competed at the Show for many years. This year, his granddaughter, Lady Louise Windsor, will follow in his footsteps, as she takes part in the Meet of the British Driving Society.
8. Dan Naprous, famed for his stunt driving, will be competing in the international Driving competitions. He will be bringing two of the horses currently starring in the Lloyds Bank TV advert.
9. The 2021 Show has some exciting new elements, including an adrenaline fuelled Puissance competition, and a Dressage Masterclass, hosted by British Olympian Richard Davison, documenting the skills and attributes required to make that elusive step-up to Grand Prix level, with the FEI’s highest ranking Dressage judge, Stephen Clarke on hand to provide further insight.
10. Spectators will be able to enjoy performances from The Musical Ride of the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment, The Musical Drive of The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery, and crowd-favourites, The Land Rover Shetland Pony Grand National and the DAKS Pony Club Mounted Games. The impressive Equestrian Federation of Azerbaijan will also be performing an exhilarating display aboard their Karabakh horses, the native horse of southwestern Azerbaijan.
Source: Press release by Niki McEwen / Revolution Sports for Royal Windsor Horse Show
Photo: © Rolex / Kit Houghton