Lexington, Kentucky, USA – November 09, 2020 – As we near the beginning of the 2021 competition year, it is evident that the effects of the pandemic will be ongoing for some time. In its continuing efforts to provide necessary flexibility without sacrificing safety and welfare, US Equestrian will continue to modify certain USEF rules throughout the 2021 competition year. Doing so allows USEF competitions and events to be as safe as possible while still complying with rules and regulations that provide for a fair and level playing field.
Continuing Modifications to USEF Rules
Many of the COVID-19-related rule modifications implemented for the 2020 competition year have been reissued and will be effective December 1, 2020, through November 30, 2021. A brief summary of the 89 rule modifications is listed below, and the full content for each can be viewed by clicking here. If necessary, additional rule modifications will be reviewed and published when approved.
Modifications Applicable to Competition Management – Licensing & Class Procedure
Competition Licensing – General Modifications to GR302, GR306, GR315.4, GR904, and GR1212
- Waivers to the competition application submission dates and process timelines that were considered on a case-by-case basis through 2020 will continue in 2021.
- The competition cancellation fee will be waived for competitions that have to cancel due to COVID-19 in 2021.
COVID-19 Related Competition Venue Changes – GR302
- The rules governing license modifications involving a COVID-19-related change of venue that causes a mileage conflict have been modified to allow the CEO to review the Licensee’s request to maintain Priority Date Status at the new location.
USEF Entry Blank – GR908.5 and GR908.6 and GR916
- The updated USEF Release, Assumption of Risk, Waiver and Indemnification document supersedes the existing language printed in the Rule Book. When possible, waivers specific to the state in which the competition is held should be used. State-specific waivers can be found here.
Food and Beverage – GR1216, DR126.3, HJ105.1, and HJ107
All Breeds/Disciplines; additional specifics for Dressage, Hunter, Jumper, and H/J Licensed Competitions
- Waives the requirement to make food available and changes it to an option. Details the minimum requirements for providing water for participants.
Jogging, Conformation, and Model – HU118.3, HU121, HU130.d, HU136.7, HU123.6, AR159.5, MO145.2, and MO146.6
Hunter, H/J, Arabian and Morgan
- Jogging – The traditional manner of jogging for soundness in hunter classes is waived, and horses and ponies will jog for soundness under saddle by trotting a circle on a loose rein at the end of each over-fences performance.
- Pony Hunter and Three-Year-Old Hunter Model and Conformation Classes – The requirement for model and conformation classes has been waived in the “A”-rated Regular and Green Pony Hunter sections, as well as in the Three-Year-Old Hunter section. If model or conformation classes are held, handlers must comply with social distancing requirements.
- Green and High Performance Conformation Hunter – Handlers in model classes and conformation classes in the Green and High Performance Conformation Hunter sections must comply with social distancing requirements.
Hunter and H/J Licensed Competition Procedures
Hunter and H/J Licensed Competitions
- Horse Entry Standard – HJ101.2, HJ104.8, HJ109.2, HJ110.2, HJ111.2, HJ112.1, and HJ113.1
- Modifies the existing rule to waive the Horse Entry Standard for Premier, National, Two-Day Restricted Junior Amateur, Regional I and Regional II hunter rated competitions. Competitions will not be reclassified to a lower rating based on the Horse Entry Standard.
- Hunter Prize Money – HJ109
- Premier and National hunter-rated competitions must continue to offer the minimum required prize money in rated sections, but if sections are cancelled or don’t fill sufficiently to award all prize money, competitions will not be required to pool and redistribute unawarded prize money.
- Combining and Dividing of Sections or Classes – HU155.3, HU158.3, and HU162
- Rules governing under-saddle and model classes have been modified and allow for dividing and splitting to ensure compliance with social distancing requirements.
- Paramedic Requirement – HJ105.1
- If the services of a Paramedic cannot be secured for a Premier hunter-rated competition, an EMT may be substituted.
Modifications Applicable to Licensed Officials
Officiating Limitations for Stewards, Technical Delegates, and Judges – GR1034 and GR1039
- The rules limiting the number of times a Steward, Technical Delegate or Judge could officiate within a specific area or at a specific competition within a certain period of time have been waived for 2021.
Scores, Scoresheets, and Officials’ Signatures on Accident Preparedness Plan – GR1033, DR123, and HJ105
All Breeds/Disciplines and Dressage, Hunter, Jumper, and H/J Licensed Competitions
- Rules have been modified to allow for score submission and scoresheet distribution to occur electronically (including by use of cell phones) and/or posted via the internet, as well as signed by use of a stamp rather than by hand.
- Rules regarding distribution of and method of signature for the Accident Preparedness Plan have been modified to minimize the resist of virus transmission through physical handling of paper.
Modifications Applicable to Participants & Licensed Officials
Equine Drugs and Medication Report Forms– GR411, GR414, GR1034, and GR1207
- In order to minimize the risk of virus transmission through the physical handling of paper, all USEF Medication Report Forms must be submitted electronically unless online submission is absolutely impossible.
To access full details related to these 2021 rule modifications, please click here.
- For questions related to rule modifications applicable to competition organizers, please contact Katlynn Sacco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions related to rule modifications applicable to licensed officials, please contact Alina Brazzil at email@example.com.
- Please direct any other questions related to these rule modifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Press release by US Equestrian Communications Department for USEF / US Equestrian – United States Equestrian Federation
Photo: © US Equestrian / USEF – United States Equestrian Federation